This one is absolutely, for sure, not FUD. It’s astonishingly even-handed: the only comment on either Linux or Windows is the following:
“We’re all familiar with Linux trolls who disrupt Windows threads, and Windows trolls who disrupt Linux discussions.”
Linked here for three reasons:
(1) It’s one of the least obnoxious things OSNews has come up with in recent memory.
(2) Amusingly, it was linked from yet another new Loon on the pog-blog. No particular reason; it’s just that they’re turning paranoid over there, now that there are a few independent minds posting comments.
(3) It is actually an excellent discussion of the trolling phenomenon, which (if you read the “About” tab) is what this site is largely about.
The listing at the front (“Some of the techniques trolls use to accomplish their objectives are…”) is a mighty fine encapsulation of your typical troll. Remind you of anyone in particular?
Update, 22:20 UK time (because this is getting Adamited, whereas I really think people would benefit from reading the link):
Here’s the list of troll characteristics, which I think is rather superb:
- Pithy put-downs
- Name-calling and insults
- Ad hominem attacks that try to negate an opinion by alleging negatives about the person supporting it
- Impugning other’s motives
- Emotional rants
- Bullying and harassment
- Completely off-topic posts
- Posting inaccurate “facts”
If you leave out the “bullying and harassment” bit, that is essentially Robert Pogson to a tee.
Is it possible that he is persistently trolling his own blog?